TO SUBMIT YOUR MIX:
Click ? HERE ? to fill out the promo form and submit your mix. Once we receive it and check for quality, we’ll contact you to schedule it!
PLEASE NOTE: Mixes that don’t meet our minimum quality standard will not be accepted, but never rejected ? You’re always welcome to re-submit a mix that does.
subSTATION.one sets the absolute standard for premium HD audio. Our listeners demand the highest quality and it’s our mission to deliver the best listener experience possible.
For quality purposes, please follow these guidelines so your mixes sound SUPERIOR on subSTATION.one
- Before you get started, please make sure your mixer is in STEREO mode (yes, this happens alot — MONO is NO BUENO). Just because you have audio in BOTH channels, does NOT mean it’s STEREO.
- DO NOT SAVE MIXES AS MP3… ALL MIXES MUST BE RECORDED AND SAVED IN UNCOMPRESSED .WAV FORMAT… NO EXCEPTIONS. MP3 MIXES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED (TEMPORARILY WAIVED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)
- What happens is, let’s say that some of the songs in your mix are in MP3 format (that’s one layer of compression). Then you record your mix and save it as an MP3 (that’s a 2nd layer of compression). Then, it’s encoded for the on-air stream (that’s a 3rd layer of compression). By the time it hits the air, it sounds crunchy, thin, brittle and metallic. When shows get archived on SoundCloud, they transcode EVERYTHING down to 128k (even when you upload 128k MP3 files — I know, INSANE! — that adds a 4th layer of compression). The average radio station doesn’t set guidelines for this — and you can hear it on the air (garbage in… garbage out.)
- DO NOT CONVERT mixes from MP3 back to .wav — it defeats the purpose.
- If you use MP3 songs in your mix, they must be 320kbps minimum (.WAV FILES ALWAYS PREFERRED)
- Watch your levels — NO RED LINES – NO EXCEPTIONS — easy to overlook when you’re in “the zone.”
- Mixes should be 62-64 minutes long.